Sunday 18 October 2015

Sony Helmet Camera Installed

I took possession of my new helmet camera a couple of days ago - yet another baby step closer to being organised for the trip. After dithering backwards and forwards between the GoPro and Sony Action Cam, I finally settled on the Sony. My decision was based, more than anything, on its profile when mounted on a helmet. The GoPro just doesn't look the business plonked on the side or top of your head.

Anyway, using Sony's standard helmet mount I got the the Sony FDR-X1000V attached to the right-hand-side of my helmet.  It would have been easier to operate on the left-hand-side, but that's where my Sena 20S bluetooth unit sits, so the right-hand-side it is.

The Sony is mounted and ready to go.
With the camera mounted and ready for action, it was time for a quick test to make sure the position looked good. I took a quick spin along my normal route - Holgate to Kulnura and back home through Yarramalong. Here's some example footage.




I'm very happy with the orientation - the horizon is pretty straight and close to the centre of the image. There's a little too much of my visor shown, but unfortunately the helmet doesn't have a lot of options when it comes to flat mounting spots. That's the best I'm going to get. If I could stand riding with the visor down I would also be doing myself a huge favour, but unfortunately I fucking hate the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment